Home » Headline, International

Ireland v Hungary Match History

3 June 2012 18,788 views No Comment Written by Ronan

The Republic of Ireland take on Hungary on Monday at the Ferenc Puskas stadium in Budapest. The match will be the 11th meeting between the two sides. GreenScene looks back at the past ten encounters.

16 December 1934 – Irish Free State 2-4 Hungary
The first meeting between Hungary and Ireland took place at Dalymount Park, Dublin at the end of 1934. It was Ireland’s first game since April after being knocked out of World Cup 1934 qualifying by Belgium and the Netherlands. Hungary had topped a group containing Austria and Bulgaria, and would go on to reach the quarter-finals in Italy. The visitors took an early lead through forward István Avar and then doubled the score on the half-hour mark through Jenő Vincze. Joey Donnelly got one back for Ireland before half-time, and just when Ireland looked to be getting back into the game after Paddy Bermingham’s goal from the spot, influential forward Paddy Moore was forced off injured. This allowed Hungary to restore their grip on the game with Avar adding a second and Imre Markos making it 4-1 in the last five minutes.

Ireland: Jim Foley (Celtic), Peader Gaskins (Shamrock Rovers) capt, Paddy Bermingham (St. James Gate), Paddy O’Kane (Bohemians), Charlie Lennon (St. James Gate), Fred Horlacher (Bohemians), Dick Griffiths (Walsall), Joey Donnelly (Dundalk), Alf Rigby (St. James Gate), Paddy Moore (Aberdeen), Willie Fallon (Notts County)

Hungary: Hada, Vago, Sternberg, Seres, Szucs, Szalay, Markos, Vincze, Avar, Cseh, Titkos
Subs: Szabo for Hada 45 mins, Gyori for Seres 45 mins

3 May 1936 – Hungary 3-3 Ireland
Two years later the Irish team travelled to Budapest for a friendly at the Hungária Úti Stadium. Now operating under the name “Ireland”, the boys in green had started the year well with a 1-0 win over Switzerland. Dr György Sárosi opened the scoring for Hungary after just seven minutes, but Ireland were level when Jimmy Dunne fired home a penalty kick. Joe O’Reilly gave Ireland a 23rd minute goal to put the visitors ahead thanks to some fine work from Dunne. Hungary pushed for an equaliser, and would have had one were it not for a strong display from Bill Harrington in the Irish goal. Sarosi finally brought Hungary level after half-time, also from the spot, before a second goal from Dunne set up an exciting finish. The hosts came away with a draw thanks to Ferenc Sas’s late leveller.

Ireland: Billy Harrington (Cork), Willie O’Neill (Dundalk), Bill Gorman (Bury), William ‘Sacky’ Glen (Shamrock Rovers) capt, Con Moulson (Lincoln City), Joe O’Reilly (Brideville), Harry Duggan (Leeds Utd), Joey Donnelly (Dundalk), Jimmy Dunne (Arsenal), Owen Madden (Cork), Willie Fallon (Notts County)

Hungary: Szabo, Futo, Deri, Bela, Magda, Turay, Dudas, Sas, Vincze, Sarosi, Cseh, Kemeny
Subs: Hada for Szabo 45 mins

6 December 1936 – Ireland 2-3 Hungary
When Hungary returned to Dalymount Park at the end of 1936, Ireland were on a high after beating Germany 5-2 just a couple of months earlier. Ireland had the ball in the net in the first minute, but the goal was ruled out as Tom Davis had barged into the goalkeeper. After 20 minutes, the ball was in the net again, and this time Bill Fallon’s long range effort was counted. Two goals in two minutes from Pál Titkos and László Cseh gave Hungary a half-time lead, and Géza Toldi added another after the break. Ireland were largely on top in the second half, but only could get one back through Tom Davis’s penalty, largely through Antal Szabo’s goalkeeping heroics.

Highlights on British Pathe:

Ireland: Foley (Celtic), O’Neill (Dundalk), Gorman (Bury), O’Reilly (St. James’s Gate), Turner (Southend), Moulson (Notts County), Ellis (Bohemians), Donnelly (Dundalk), Davis (Oldham), Moore (Shamrock Rovers), Fallon (Notts County)

Hungary: Palinkas, Polgar, Vago, Tursi, Szucs, Dudas, Czeh, Vince, Sarosi, Toldi, Titkos
Subs: Szabo for Palinkas

19 March 1939 – Ireland 2-2 Hungary
12,000 turned up to see Ireland face the 1938 World Cup runners-up at the Mardyke Arena in Cork. This was the only ever international played at the venue, and saw Paddy Bradshaw put Ireland ahead in the first quarter of an hour. Gyula Zsengellér, who had scored 6 goals at the World Cup, just one behind Brazil’s Leonidas, gave the Magyars a 35th minute equaliser. Ferenc Kolláth unsurprisingly put them ahead after half-time, but Ireland battled back well and got a late goal from Jackie Carey to give them a share of the spoils.

Ireland: George McKenzie (Southend Utd), Bill Gorman (Brentford), Mick Hoy (Dundalk), Joe O’Reilly (St. James Gate), Charlie Turner (West Ham), Ned Weir (Clyde), Kevin O’Flanagan (Bohemians), Jimmy Dunne (Shamrock Rovers) capt, Paddy Bradshaw (St. James Gate), Jackie Carey (Manchester Utd), Tommy Foy (Shamrock Rovers)

Hungary: Szabo, Koranyi, Biro, Lazar, Sarosi, Balogh, Adam, Zsengeller, Kollath, Kiszely, Gyetal

18 May 1939 – Hungary 2-2 Ireland
Ireland’s next game was a return trip to the Hungária Úti Stadium, Budapest where the two sides once again played out a 2-2 draw. Dr György Sárosi once again caused a headache for the Irish side, with a goal just before half-time to give the hosts the lead. Kevin O’Flanagan, who would go on to line out for both FAI and IFA sides, struck two second half goals, but was cancelled out by Ferenc Kolláth’s 86th minute equaliser. Five days later Ireland drew 1-1 with Germany in Berlin before the outbreak of World War II halted all football matches until 1946.

Ireland: George McKenzie (Southend Utd), Willie O’Neill (Dundalk), Mick Hoy (Dundalk), Joe O’Reilly (St. James Gate), Matt O’Mahoney (Bristol Rovers), Ned Weir (Clyde), Kevin O’Flanagan (Bohemians), Jimmy Dunne (Shamrock Rovers) capt, Paddy Bradshaw (St. James Gate), Jackie Carey (Manchester Utd), Willie Fallon (Sheffield Wednesday)

Hungary: Szabo, Kis, Biro, Szalay, Szucs, Balogh, Szanto, Sarosi, Kollath, Kiszlely, Nagy

8 June 1969 – Republic of Ireland 1-2 Hungary
30 years passed before the two sides met again, once again at Dalymount Park. This was the first competitive game between Ireland and Hungary, as part of 1970 World Cup qualifying Group 2. Ireland started with an abandoned game (due to fog) against Denmark, and losses against Czechoslovakia and the Danes, while Hungary began with a 2-0 victory over the Czechs in the four team group. Hungary had won the gold medal in football at the previous year’s 1968 Mexico Summer Olympics, and Antal Dunai (also known as Dunai II) who had scored six goals in the tournament, caused problems for Ireland, opening the scoring after 23 minutes. Don Givens got his first goal for Ireland on the hour mark, but Ferenc Bene gave Hungary a late win.

Ireland: Alan Kelly (Preston North End), Shay Brennan (Manchester United), Al Finucane (Limerick), Paddy Mulligan (Shamrock Rovers), Tony Dunne (Manchester United), Jimmy Conway (Fulham), Eamonn Dunphy (Millwall), Eamonn Rogers (Blackburn Rovers), Mick Leech (Shamrock Rovers), Ray Treacy (Charlton Athletic), Charlie Hurley (Bolton Wanderers) capt, Don Givens (Manchester United)
Subs: Frank O’Neill (Shamrock Rovers) for Hurley 45 mins

Hungary: Szentmihalyi, Kaposzta, Meszoly, Szucs, Ihasz, Gorocs, Albert, Zambo, Bene, Dunai, Kozma
Sub: Farkas for Kozma 70 mins

5 November 1969 – Republic of Ireland 0-4 Hungary
Having already been eliminated thanks to a 1-1 draw in the rescheduled game with Denmark, Mick Meagan’s Ireland side had little to play for at the Népstadion in Budapest. John Giles missed the game through injury, but was back in the Leeds side a few days later. Hungary felt that a win would take them to Mexico 70 and got it in style with a 4-0 thumping as John Dempsey was sent off for Ireland. Zoltán Halmosi broke the deadlock after half an hour, before second half goals from Ferenc Bene, Lajos Puskás, and Lajos Kocsis sealed the tie. However, despite the margin of victory, and superior goals for and goal difference tallies, Hungary finished the group with 9 points, the same as Czechoslovakia. GF and GD weren’t counted back then, and the two sides had to meet in a playoff in Marseilles. The Czechs won out 4-1, but lost all three games at the World Cup the following year.

Ireland: Alan Kelly (Preston North End), Shay Brennan (Manchester Utd), John Dempsey (Chelsea), Paddy Mulligan (Chelsea), Tony Dunne (Manchester Utd) capt, Jimmy Conway (Fulham), Joe Kinnear (Tottenham Hotspur), Eamonn Dunphy (Millwall), Eamonn Rogers (Blackburn Rovers), Terry Conroy (Stoke City), Don Givens (Manchester Utd)
Subs: Ray Treacy (Charlton Athletic) for Conroy 40 mins

Hungary: Tamas, Keleman, Pancsics, Szucs, Ihasz, Gorocs, Halmosi, Fazekas, Bene, Dunai, Zambo
Sub: Puskas for Dunai, Kocsis for Gorocs

8 March 1989 – Hungary 0-0 Republic of Ireland
Another twenty years went by before the next meeting at the Nepstadion in Budapest. Jack Charlton has guided Ireland to a first major tournament – Euro 88 – but had started World Cup 1990 qualification poorly with a draw against Northern Ireland in Belfast and a 2-0 loss to Spain in Seville. 3,000 travelling Irish fans saw Paul McGrath and Ronnie Whelan impress in midfield, but Ireland were once again let down by poor finishing. Tony Cascarino and John Aldridge were ineffective up front, and were both hauled off in the second half. Lajos Détári was the star man for the Hungarians after battling through injury, justifying his 17 million mark (8.5 million euro) transfer the previous year to Olympiacos Piraeus, which made him the third most expensive player in the world. However, neither side could break the deadlock and Ireland finished a third consecutive game without a goal.

Ireland: Packie Bonner (Glasgow Celtic), Chris Morris (Glasgow Celtic), Mick McCarthy (Glasgow Celtic), Kevin Moran (Sporting Gijon) capt, Chris Hughton (Tottenham Hotspur), Ray Houghton (Liverpool), Paul McGrath (Manchester Utd), Ronnie Whelan (Liverpool), Kevin Sheedy (Everton), Tony Cascarino (Millwall), John Aldridge (Liverpool)
Subs: Niall Quinn (Arsenal) for Cascarino 79 mins, Liam Brady (West Ham Utd) for Aldridge 79 mins

Hungary: P Disztl, Kozma, Z Bognar, L Disztl, Kovacs, Sass, Gregor, Detari, Hajszan, Meszaros, Kiprich
Sub: G Bognar for Meszaros 45 mins, Boda for Gregor 77 mins

4 June 1989 – Republic of Ireland 2-0 Hungary
Wins over Spain (1-0) and Malta (2-0) had put Jack Charlton’s side back in contention in Group 6, and a 2-0 win over Hungary at Lansdowne Road left the Boys in Green just three points away from a guaranteed spot at Italia 90. Andy Townsend was playing in his first competitive game, and filled Ronnie Whelan’s midfield boots well, getting forward to support Cascarino and Aldridge. Paul McGrath put Ireland ahead before half-time, but the hosts had Packie Bonner to thank for pushing Imre Garaba’s shot onto the post late on, before Tony Cascarino sealed the game in the 80th minute. Wins over Northern Ireland and Malta gave Ireland four more points to set-up Jack Charlton’s 1990 meeting with Pope John Paul II.

Ireland: Packie Bonner (Glasgow Celtic), Chris Hughton (Tottenham), David O’Leary (Arsenal), Kevin Moran (Sporting Gijon) capt, Steve Staunton (Liverpool), Ray Houghton (Liverpool), Paul McGrath (Manchester Utd), Andy Townsend (Norwich City), Kevin Sheedy (Everton), John Aldridge (Liverpool), Tony Cascarino (Millwall)
Subs: Liam Brady (West Ham United) for Aldridge 74 mins, Chris Morris (Glasgow Celtic) for McGrath 79 mins

Hungary: P Disztl, Kozma, Z Bognar, L Disztl, Garaba, Keller, Detari, Fitos, Csehi, Meszaros, Boda
Sub: G. Bognar for Csehi 66 mins, Vincze for Meszaros 71 mins

11 September 1991 – Hungary 1-2 Republic of Ireland
The last meeting between the two sides was 21 years ago, as Jack Charlton’s men visited the Stadion ETO in Győr during a Euro 1992 campaign where the Boys in Green were just a point behind Graham Taylor’s England. Terry Phelan was a late call-up to the squad while Ronnie Whelan was ruled out, and started in defence for his first cap. Forward Kálmán Kovács capitalised on a Packie Bonner error to give Hungary a second-half lead, but Ireland staged an impressive fightback and were ahead within ten minutes. David Kelly struck home Kevin Sheedy’s corner with the Leicester forward just about to be taken off for John Aldridge after struggling with fitness ahead of the game. Aldo did come on after the equaliser, and had a hand in the Sheedy’s winner, poking the ball into the net just to make sure after Sheedy’s shot had bounced down off the crossbar. Roy Keane was awarded the man of the match award in his second start for Ireland, winning praise and plaudits from both his manager and the media. Unfortunately Poland came back from 3-1 down in Poznan to get a draw against Ireland, and see England progress to Euro 1992, a point ahead of Charlton’s men.

Ireland: Packie Bonner (Glasgow Celtic), Denis Irwin (Manchester Utd), David O’Leary (Arsenal), Mick McCarthy (Millwall) capt, Terry Phelan (Wimbledon), Ray Houghton (Liverpool), Roy Keane (Nottingham Forest), John Sheridan (Sheffield Wednesday), Kevin Sheedy (Everton), Niall Quinn (Manchester City), David Kelly (Leicester City)
Subs: Alan McLoughlin (Southampton) for Sheridan 45 mins, John Aldridge (Tranmere Rovers) for Kelly 64 mins, Chris Morris (Glasgow Celtic) for Phelan 82 mins

Hungary: Petry, Monos, Lipcsie, L Disztl, Lorincz, Csehi, Kozma, Detari, E Kovacs, Vincze, K Kovacs
Subs: Berczy for E Kovacs 54 mins, Eszentyi for Vincze 64 mins, Rugovics for Monos 73 mins

29 May 1993 – Ireland XI 2-4 Hungary
Back in May 1993, Hungary also visited Lansdowne Road for David O’Leary’s testimonial. It was an unofficial game, so caps or goals don’t count towards records. Phil Babb, who had been watched by Maurice Setters, was called up to the Ireland XI squad by manager Jack Charlton. A first run-out was also given to Wrexham left-back Philip Hardy, the only player in the panel who would not go on to win any Irish caps. After winning the ball from the kick-off, Niall Quinn gave the ball to Roy Keane who put Ireland ahead with a 20-yard-drive, the quickest ever goal at Lansdowne Road. Three minutes later, Ireland were two-up after David Kelly was set up by Quinn. Ireland led 2-0 at the break, but collapsed in the second half as substitute István Hamar scored twice to level the game, and then Tibor Balog and the impressive Flórián Urbán added two more in the last five minutes to give Hungary a 4-2 win.

Ireland: A.Kelly, Morris, O’Leary, Kernaghan (Babb), Staunton (Hardy), McGoldrick, Keane,(McLoughlin) Whelan, (J.Byrne), Sheedy, Quinn, D.Kelly (Cascarino).

Hungary: Petry, Telek, Csábi, Lőrincz, Bánfi (Balog), Pisont, Márton, Urbán, Keresztúri, Orosz, Eszenyi (Hamar)

Related posts:

  1. Republic of Ireland v Northern Ireland Match History
  2. Ireland v Uruguay: Match History
  3. Republic of Ireland v Scotland Match History
  4. Ireland v Russia Match History
  5. Ireland v Czech Republic Match History

Leave your response!

Add your comment below, or trackback from your own site. You can also subscribe to these comments via RSS.

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

This is a Gravatar-enabled weblog. To get your own globally-recognized-avatar, please register at Gravatar.